I have heard that LDS people are infamous for naming their children weird names. I just read an article about the stresses of naming children and the ridicule that people give and receive for wanting certain names or other things like that.
David and I are perhaps evil because we have already thought about names that we enjoy- I want to use Gwn, or Gwyn... which is welsh for white and David's heritage is welsh. He likes that name a great deal and it was something we both liked even before we met. I've convinced David about another name too. Hezekiah is really uncommon, but if you read his story in the old testament it's kind of awesome.
For girls, we run into problems. I like Biblical names, but the ones I like are not Ruth, Esther, Naomi, Rebecca, Rachel.... the ones that have become common parlance in our society. I like Orpah, Athaliah... the righteous women who had righteous sons. (I have a soft spot for the name Maerica, which I discovered in a historical-fiction novel about Rome.)
Am I being weird? I have a literary background for these names, I'm not coming up with them off the top of my head.
I plan on naming my children whatever David and I agree on naming them. I just wish that I could name my future children without fear of being judge a "bad parent" because I chose a name I liked and thought would be good.
I like Hadassah myself. that's kind of an unusual name for a non-Jew.
ReplyDelete