Thursday, November 1, 2012

So... the first step is always honesty.

Spending was out of control this last month. (And by out of control, I mean we still have quite a bit of savings in the bank but I doubled the budget for the month.)

I decided to make a couple of costumes, revisit a couple of hobbies and get some materials for crafts intended for family members...

I need to be more careful and stick to a budget, but I am not going to drag myself over the coals for this. I will remember to increase the budget for October (it's my big spending month, not Christmas... isn't that funny), but also remember to self-limit my options.

For my future self: You'll see the Halloween things that you would like to buy, don't freak out about the sell-by dates. 1) There are a lot more stores than Wal-Mart here. 2)They don't have as much space and they get really excited for the Holidays, so they begin clearance by mid-month. 3) You don't need everything you want. (You survived without the extra cauldron this year.) 4) A good Halloween collection has years and years of growth. You don't need to do it all in one year. 5) There aren't very many good pre-made decorations. You want gravestone? Might has well make one yourself.

Now the really weird thing is that this month has seemed really long because of all the shopping that I have done. It's been a normal 31 days, but the warp on the time is extreme. Now I know that overspending creates a weird effect which makes it seem like time takes a lot longer.

1 comment:

  1. And remember that everything you buy, make and bring into your life owns you.

    When we bought this house it came with tons of decorations that I would never have bought. But I don't have to ever carve a pumpkin again. You have to be careful what you bring into your life because you will end up on hoarders, or you have the ability to not care about your personal trash footprint and just throw things away.

    Only buy quality things, take care of them, and when they get broken, move on. : )

    Annie's costume was awesome.

    ReplyDelete