I cut myself badly about a month ago. It was my middle right finger and it probably should have gotten a stitch or two. It hurt while mending and even after the scab fell off, if I hit my hand a certain way the nerves would scream at me.
Now I have a nifty scar that has changed the shape of my fingerprint. I am a different person. And even though I got that scar from a really stupid reason, I kind of like it.
That thought lead my wandering brain toward another thought. "What is the nature of perfection?" We will all be perfected in the resurrection (the perfection isn't changed, it's the glory). I wondered if my scar, which I am stupidly fond of, would disappear, or if I had a choice to keep my scars. Jesus Christ has the scars from his crucifixion.
The idle wonder over my scar and perfection lead me further. Most women are beautiful, and yet most women are dissatisfied with their bodies. I have some friends trying to lose weight, others want to gain weight. We are all striving for some unknown ideal vision of ourselves influenced by what we think we should look like. Are we going to achieve that ideal when we are perfected? (Will suddenly half the female population be thin, big-breasted, and have straight teeth upon the first resurrection?) Or will we be perfected in mind to accept who we are , what we look like, and our own beauty?
I think that a portion of perfection will be in the mind. I won't be beset with anxiety and depression. I'll probably still be over-analytical, though. Most of all, I will realize that I have a marvelously beautiful body, glorified cellulite and all and I won't be competing with an ideal because I will be a goddess and I will be an ideal.
This is a freeing thought. I will live to be healthy and try to accept the goddess I will become instead of mourning the passage of time that separates me from my ideals of youth.
And all of this was brought on by meditating on a scar. Awesome scar.
Don't let who you've become be more important that what you would be.
ReplyDeleteI have a friend who had all her children out of wedlock and doesn't regret it because she doesn't regret the children. I'm like "Really you wouldn't rather have had children in a more stable situation with a husband who would protect and provide for your family?"
Accept who you are, love who you are, but still have a little sorrow for damaging the temple.
Did you get the scar on your thumb in conjunction with an act of selfless sacrifice that made salvation possible?
He suffered so we don't have to. The scar on your thumb is insignificant. To me, nothing should be more important than wanting to return to Heavenly Father. Anything you want to keep, be it addiction to drugs, addiction to misery, tatoos, chocolate, pride, it's all got to go.
Have you heard the Sheri Dew talk about how she went down many flights of stairs because of a fire drill, after recent knee surgery, carrying her luggage? Let go.
Love yourself. And take care of yourself.