reading today on motherlode, they were making a big deal of Geena Davis' campaign to have more female roles in films. While this doesn't bother me as a female actress (or hopeful actress), I am slightly miffed at the people who focus solely on the genders in movies, rather than the messages of movies.
For instance, one of the commenters brought up the movie "Up" which was a great movie about finding adventure and things to live for. There were themes of friendship, parenthood, love, trust... it was a beautiful story. The commentator was upset because the only female was strong in the beginning, but then became feeble and died a third of the way through the movie.
To be honest, it wasn't about her. She always had the gusto, the spirit, the verve to live and live well. She always focused on the things that she wanted, but she was human enough to adapt her dreams to fit the thing that really mattered. Her life with her husband.
Tangled has a great story about youth, dreams and then finding meaning after dreams have been fulfilled. Someone was upset because there was a lot of focus on the man.
I feel it is more important to have good stories, than whether the role model was male or female. You can teach the same values if you look at the work of the characters instead of the gender.
gah. I'm growling because I've had too little sleep and I've turned rather conservative in my old age.
No comments:
Post a Comment